We have created this page to answer many of the most commonly asked homeowner questions.

This page covers the most common questions concerning renovations & remodeling.

To see the answers to the questions, just click on the “+” sign in the gray box at the beginning of the question.

To close the answer box, click on the “-” sign at the beginning of the question.



I am planning to renovate. Where do I start?

Step 1:  Obtain the HOA “Architectural Guidelines” (Click Here) and read from start to finish.  Refinishing your interior with new paint, flooring, cabinets, appliances generally does not require HOA approval.  Everything else requires the approval of the HOA Architectural Committee.  Examples are structural changes like removing walls, widening doors, replacing your front door, installing a new barbecue on your patio, modifying the plumbing or electrical service, vaulting any ceilings.  Bear in mind, condo ownership means the buildings and grounds are owned in common and therefore subject to community (HOA) guidelines and rules.  Individual homeowners own only the interior walls, fixtures, appliances, and any finish work.

Step 2: Obtain an “Architectural Approval Application” (Click Here) and read it thoroughly.  It describes the process homeowners must follow to have their renovation approved, in advance, by the Architecture Committee and includes the processing fees, drawings, contractor information, and indemnification agreements that may be required.  The actual owner of record must also sign the application before it can be considered.

Step 3:  Submit the completed Application no later than 7 days prior to the Architecture Committee meeting, which is generally held on the first Thursday of the month, from September to June of each year.

The Board of Directors encourages homeowners to renovate their units.  Renovations enhance the value of our entire community.  We are constantly amazed at the variety and beauty of the various renovations we see.  The increasing sales prices at Rancho Las Palmas reflect these efforts.

Are Solar Tubes Allowed?

Solar Tubes are an effective way to brighten up dark areas such as entry ways, hallways and some bathrooms.

They require you to cut a hole in the ceiling to the roof hence you are effecting the structure of the unit.  You must hire a licensed Contractor to the work and apply for a permit from the Architecture committee.

You will also be required to sign an indemnity indicating that you will be responsible for any damage in the future and its maintenance.  (Indemnity Agreement – NEED TO GET FROM WC)

The rules pertaining to solar tubes are in Section 15.14 of the Architecture Guidelines. CLICK HERE to download Section 15.14.

Floors plans are listed and you can use those to indicate the location of the solar tubes.

Floor Plan 20:     CLICK HERE

Floor Plan 30:     CLICK HERE

Floor Plan 200:   CLICK HERE

Floor Plan 300    CLICK HERE

Floor Plan 3000:  CLICK HERE

Floor Plan 4000  CLICK HERE

Please submit the application form that you can download here:  CLICK HERE

Please submit the complete form along with the appropriate fees

Can I have a stamped concrete driveway?

Yes you can.  Our Architecture guidelines were just modified to allow stamped concrete.

You need to put an application form (CLICK HERE) along with contractor information (hotlink) and an indemnity (NEED THIS FORM hotlink) to put in a concrete driveway.

Once you get an approval you can get started.

The process is detailed in Section 15.18 of the Architecture guidelines:  CLICK HERE FOR SECTION 15.18